Actually, you will find the banks that survived were the ones who were more
diversified in their holdings.  The one that went tits up were the old
investment houses that only recently started banking businesses.

> And why does the federal government have Medicaid administered by the
> states? You might find the answer above.

And why is Medicare an actuarial mess and lurching towards insolvency?
I think you'll find your answer somewhere around reality.

You have the corporate talking points well-memorized.

Medicare has an overhead of 2-4%. For-profit companies have overhead of 15-30% or more with the top crooks being paid huge salaries/bonuses with the money made from not paying their customers' claims. It isn't difficult to adjust the basis for Medicare to extend its longevity, although it isn't "lurching towards insolvency", except that Bush used the Medicare funds to pay for his wars instead of saving it for health care costs. That theft of Medicare funds to pay for war--off budget--is another act that has led to exploding debt that the current administration has to deal with.

By expanding Medicare and returning to private nonprofits instead of taking customers' premiums for shareholders, the costs of both Medicare and private health care will go down, as it has in many other countries with similar plans. Medicare costs and premiums will go down--"lurching" downward--when the pool is increased to include younger healthier people instead of only people over the age of 65.