I checked the Greek and there is a definite article in there.

it is translated as the love of money (one word old language avarice)

It is a behavior or mind set.

It is very hard to translate into English all the behavior instilled in a word sometimes. Also in translation they sometimes drop the definite articles where they should not be dropped. Most foreign languages use definite articles in front of words to help denote gender and tense. It was not until my studies of German, Greek, and Hebrew that I had an AH HA moment about English and the use of terms such as Definite Object and indefinite object and realized what the concept was. In the foreign languages you could see it very clearly.

Stewart