Unlocking means you can then stick a sim in the phone from another carrier
and it will take it.  I had an ATT tilt that they gave me the unlock code
for, put my tmobile sim in and everything worked.

Jailbreaking allows you to run unofficial code on the iphone and using third
party app installers like cydia you can install apps that aren't approved by
the app store.  Jailbreaking lets you do a little more customization to the
home screen than Apple allows like putting more icons on the home screen,
customizing the background etc.