> How does one access the dialog for turning off WinXP indexing?  Where is it
> found?

It's been quite a while, but I most likely used a method quite similar
to the ones described in the following URLs.  I've had to do it more
than once, when you nuke & pave, then reinstall, indexing got
reactivated.  I might even have used both methods repeatedly depending
upon how I searched for a quick solution.  I know there are other
methods, and you may even get multiple other suggestions.  Still
indexing off was a major improvement with XP.  It will soon be a memory
for me and just that fortunately unless I'm silly enough to triple or
quad boot to keep XP running.

http://lifehacker.com/031440/turn-off-indexing-and-speed-up-windows-xp

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/how-to-turn-off-windows-indexing-service-in-xp/