What do you do when uptime is important?  Do today's drives never fail?  With a
RAID mirroring system, you generally will have the system stay up on single
drive failure, and the bad drive can perhaps be swapped hot (although I would
still wait until 2 a.m. to do it so that the rebuild process wouldn't affect
system performance).  RAID is not a backup process/system.  Back up separately,
in addition to RAID.  Yes, RAID controllers fail, just as any circuitry can
fail, from the motherboard to the circuit board that is part of the hard drive
itself. 100% uptime isn't possible without a whole lot more redundancy than
just RAID.

Do today's RAID systems have S.M.A.R.T monitoring such that preliminary warning
is (sometimes) provided in time to do something about it?

Fred Holmes