On Dec 26, 2009, at 1:43 PM, mike wrote:
Uptime is important though to many businesses as the one I mentioned.

The thought of Mike being in charge of a nuclear reactor is really scary.

I should also mention that RAID has not kept up with the data robustness features built into modern drives. When a modern drive detects a read error it will go back to retry the read again and again and is often able to recover the data. Data recovery has to be disabled when drives are used in a RAID because RAID won't allow enough time for the data recovery to occur and fails the drive before the read problem can be resolved. RAID is less reliable than no RAID.

Of course RAID is mucho macho and a great way to impress dumb bosses.