On Dec 26, 2009, at 12:04 PM, rleesimon wrote:
Yes, in 1965-66 as an undergraduate I took a computer course at NYU which
comprised learned to program (entry level, PL-1)...

PL1, wow that was my programming language of choice for may years.

The horrible input was standing around waiting to sit at a punch card
machine (do you hear hangin'chads?) and then wait months for an opening to run the thing with your stack of cards (a shoebox-full) at 2am when you were
called to do it.

Computing back then was more social. People got to know each other while standing around the card reader and output bins. It fostered a kind of camaraderie that vanished when everyone started computing at a desk. The Internet brought some of that back, but it was not the same.