If you plug in magic jack on computer, internal mic and spkr are all you
need (I have IBM Thinkpad).  Needs no fone.  Dial on screen with mouse or
via phonebook.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Holmes [mailto:f...@his.com]
Sent: Friday, January 01, 2010 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: MagicJack: a VoIP question

The most modern phone you have that works on POTS is a "corded handset".  I
suspect one could also use a cordless handset, if one were to plug the base
station into the MagicJack.  (just as the base station is plugged into the
RJ-11 wall outlet the same way that a corded handset is plugged into a wall
outlet.)  You just couldn't use a cordless handset by itself, without the
base station.  What the information is telling you is that the MagicJack
does _not_ include its own handset.  Nor does it use a "headset" (like Skype
does).  Nor does it use a USB speakerphone (like is available for Skype).
It uses a POTS telephone, connected by the customary cord with an RJ-11 plug
on the end.  Anything that electrically looks like a POTS telephone
connected with an RJ-11 plug should work.  Dunno if it would accept pulse
dialing, haven't tried it.  But so much calling requires DTMF signalling for
navigating "menus" that pulse dialing has limited use today anyway.

"Corded handset" and "rotary [pulsed] dial" are two completely different
concepts.

Fred Holmes

At 06:39 PM 1/1/2010, Robert Carroll wrote:
>(1) Information about MagicJack is appreciated.  It seems from the CU
description that a corded handset is needed -- I might be able to find
buried in a closet an old rotary-dial phone for MagicJack (if I decide to
get same) since all my land-line phones are cordless.  Can MagicJack
understand pulse dialing?