I'll bet the "universal" broadband in other countries really doesn't cover everyone.
Does it?  Even those in very sparsely settled areas?  The percentage in some countries is likely
higher because a greater portion of the country's population lives in a high-population-density
area that in the U.S.  We have a huge fraction of the population that live "in the
country," where it is very expensive to provide broadband on a per drop basis.

False! Do your homework before you start betting with my money.

Tom is so right.

I've been amazed at the obscure locations outside the US where I get all bars on my cell phone, even in Mexico near the Belize border, or on remote Greek islands. Similarly, broadband is so fast and pervasive [and cheap] in much of Europe, high in the Pyrenees mountains, miles from the closest small village, with WiFi on nearly empty beaches in Portugal.

I wonder why it's not like that here. Oh, right, no national broadband policy with conservatives fighting against it at every turn--for no good reason, just to be against something.