To be honest there is still too little information being released for anyone to make a good solid opinion on.

1.) Did they inform the students that their activity could be monitored under limited circumstances (Lost notebooks or similar)
At this point that does not seem the case, so there was no informed consent.

2.) Was the laptop that the student was supposed to have been monitored on, a loaner in that he had lost his laptop or it was stolen? I saw a comment that this was the case. If so what caused the laptop's webcam to be turned on?

3.) What paperwork, phone call etc. was given to the Vice Principal to cause her to call the student into her office?
Again the VP has alleged that she did not cause the webcam to be turned on.

4.) What has not been ascertained yet, or not publicized is who authorized turning the webcam on and for what reason.

But the first item is crucial.

If they did not give informed consent of being able to turn these webcams on in certain circumstances they are liable for invasion of privacy.

I am not a lawyer nor do I play one but I spent the night in a Holiday Inn Express.

Stewart