In municipalities we are well served by high speed Net access.

It is when you get on the fringes of these municipalities and into the suburban areas that there is a stark difference.

There are a number of smaller towns in this area, 10K population or so that have varying degrees of service. Most of them have VOIP available.

Our municipality does not have any special services, except the cable company is offering speeds of 15mps. (I have achieved this occasionally on my own connection)

Much of the problem has to do with the cable systems. Also the age of our copper system (phone lines) is starting to cause problems.

I have checked out DSL high speed and the best they can offer is 4mps due to limitations of the infrastructure.

Again it is hit and miss.  (A lot like AT&T's 3g coverage)

Stewart