On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:49 PM, tjpa <t...@tjpa.com> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 11:23 AM, David K Watson wrote:
>>
>> Whether the police were within the law in executing their warrant
>> is a matter of dispute, but even if being a blogger makes Jason
>> Chen a journalist, there is already some legal precedent that
>> shield laws can't be used to enable journalists to hide their own
>> criminal behavior. Details here:
>> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20003539-37.html>
>
> Thank you for a logical and factual account.

  Yeah, well, I think it was the W. Bush administration that decided
to go this route with journalists.  For instance, this means that
journalists, who receive information from persons who have violated
their job related legal proscriptions from divulging information, can
be prosecuted as a result of providing said information to the public.
 If proscribed information is passed on to a reporter, even if that
information proves that illegal activities have taken place, the
recipient of that information can be held legally liable for
disseminating that information.  Nice arrangement, isn't it?

  Steve