Actually, the holiday suicide idea is a media-perpetuated falsehood:
<http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/suicide.asp>

And I posted about this yesterday, but somehow the post didn't make
it to the list:  Stewart was wrong about suicide increasing
with population density.  It's exactly the opposite.  Massachusetts,
New York,  New Jersey and DC are among the most densely
populated states and have some of the lowest suicide rates,
while Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana have some of the
higher rates and are among the least densely populated.

If you want to see it visually by county, look at the two maps here
of the suicide rate and population density:

<http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/suicide/statistics/suicide_map.html>
<http://www.mapofusa.net/us-population-density-map.htm>

You'll see a very good correspondence between low population
density and high suicide rates or between high population density and
low suicide rates.  And it's not just the US, it seems to be a
worldwide phenomenon:
<http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10398&page=36>
In China, the contrast between the rural and urban suicide
rates is particularly extreme.