Rick Perry is an embarrassment to the state educational system.
He said when Texas entered the union in 1845, it was with the
understanding it could later pull out. In fact, as the historical
website points out (and Texas Monthly reminds its readers
quite often), the agreement was that Texas could split itself into
5 states "of comfortable size" if it wanted, not that it could secede.
If Perry could spark two brain cells together, he'd recognize
that his faulty understanding can't be reconciled with the history
of the Civil War, which included Texas among those states that
can't secede.

As to the "Republic of Texas" bit, Texans are inordinately proud
of the fact that they were an actual republic from 1836-45, between
independence from Mexico and admission to the U.S. Some other
states or parts of states were republics too at some point, but
not for as long and with the same degree of recognition
as Texas, I think.