I've never used it, I've never had the need to bring old programs forward to
keep them alive.  I'd suggest before you do it, do a little research and see
if they have modern programs that can handle what you need, sourceforge has
tons of free apps for windows.  This is my first stop when I'm looking for
an app.  I've stopped buying things like nero in favor of
smaller/lighter/faster apps like imageburn.  Ask here, there may be someone
that has found a solution to one of your old DOS based programs to run for
the future.