On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, Jeremy Kerr wrote:

Actually, from what I've seen the "strings" coming back from the remote
are usually null terminated.  Are you seeing data where this is not the
case?

Yes - without this patch, I get garbage in the debug printout:

  DEBUG (ReadFile): data_read=232
  DEBUG (reset_sequence): msg_reset_seq
  DEBUG (debug_print_packet): ff 07 85 01 01 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  00 00 00
  DEBUG (GetIdentity): skin 0x66
  usb_product_id 0xc12b
  fw_ver 4.6.71
  arch 0x11
  serial_number 20150716153309-002607
  status normal
  hw_ver 01.00
  link_type hid
  usb_vendor_id 0x046d
  link_packet_length 64
  fw_type 0x00
  ram_size 64MB
  link_hw usb
  feature Infrared
  ???ΟΎ5

Where those last bytes are:

  0a 66 65 61 74 75 72 65  20 49 6e 66 72 61 72 65  |.feature Infrare|
  64 0a ea 53 fc 60 42 7f  0a                       |d..S.`B..|

The newline after 'Infrared' is the 232nd byte (==data_read)

Interesting. Maybe on my remotes the memory after the identity string just happens to have been zeroed out. :)

Anyway, I'll have to check my remotes again - I was seeing a 4-byte difference in the string length with your change. Let me look at that closer.

Scott