Hi Scott,

> Interesting.  Maybe on my remotes the memory after the identity string
> just happens to have been zeroed out.  :)

That trailing data isn't from your remote, it's from your stack.

Since ReadFile() will only write data_read bytes into its 'rd' argument,
anything past the data_read-th byte wasn't populated by that function -
it just came from whatever was in the buffer before calling ReadFile().

[to confirm, try adding a memset(buffer, 0xff, buflen); before the
ReadFile() call]

Cheers,

Jeremy