Hi Jerrill,

On 07/27/2012 09:35 PM, Jerrill Johnson wrote:
So your adapter supports ad-hoc > mode. To support tethering, your > adapater
needs support AP(or master) > mode.

Another thing is that your kernel
needs CONFIG_BRIDGE enabled.

Bests

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't aware that tethering required master mode. I assumed that it was a
software trick with an ad hoc mode front end. Now I know that's not the
case, but that leaves me with some questions.

Group,
Given this, what is the best way to find out which wireless USB adapters
support master mode? Vendors don't seem to advertise this.

See http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers

I have D-link DWA-160 rev A2
http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DWA-160_rev_A2
and it is working just fine and supports also 5GHz band.
You can buy that D-link from ebay for under $20

As for CONFIG_BRIDGE, I'm assuming that the bridge kernel module is
sufficient if I want to avoid rebuilding the kernel?

Yes, the bridge module is sufficient.

Thank you in advance for your help on this.
Jerrill

Cheers,
Jukka