I've been trying to do some of the dances that were popular when I first
started contra dance in the late 1980's.  Most evenings would include unequal
dances where the 1's were the active couple and the 2's were inactive.  These
dances included figures that have been neglected of late.  Like 1's down the
middle and back and cast off with the 2's, along with chains and rights and
lefts over and back.  We just don't see dances like that done very often any
more.  While they all had swings my impression is that they had fewer swings
than many of the dances today.

   A few examples are:

Anne’s a Bride Tonight by Dillon Bustin
Aston Polka Contra by John Findlay
Blackthorn Reel by Roger Knox
Broken Sixpence by Don Armstrong (one of my favorite dances)
etc.

Jonathan