This is more geeking than actually useful, but the hole-sorting system
you're describing is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge-notched_card

You could buy spiral-bound index cards and remove the spiral:
https://www.staples.com/oxford-spiral-index-cards-3-x-5-50-cards-white-40282/product_26031
This gets you 19 categories per card.  This should be plenty for contra
dances, though is well below what a traditional edge-notched card might
offer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge-notched_card#/media/File:Edge-notched_card.jpg

(I don't call much anymore, but when I do I just use my phone.  If I was
going to be doing a lot of calling again I'd write an app (with offline
capability) for showing and searching dances)

Jeff