I love that Joe remembered the edge-notched sorting system I told him about
and also really love Jeff's suggestion of getting spiral-bound cards and
removing the spiral! I've drilled holes in index cards before as Joe
described, but the results weren't clean.

*I don't remember who I first heard about this sorting system from, but I
recall that they said some well-known caller/choreographer organized his
cards this way. Anyone know who this was?* I've always wanted to rediscover
this knowledge!

For my cards, I've only in the last year developed a system I'm happy with
after a decade of prototyping:

   - First, my box is divided into five sections (I, II, III, IV, and V)
   according to *difficulty*. Dances in the I section are easiest and won't
   even include a courtesy turn. Sections II and III are my most-used; a
   typical regular dance evening will pull from these sections. IV is for
   tricky dances — you could get away with one or two at a regular dance with
   a competent crowd, or you could save them for Advanced Dance events. V is
   really wacky hard stuff. Advanced as it gets.
   - Second, each card has a colored sticker (something like these

<https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avery-5796-1-4-round-assorted-removable-see-through-color-coding-dot-labels-pack/15405796.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=freeclicks&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping>)
   to give a sense of the dance's *disposition*. Pink is very balance-y,
   orange is moderately balance-y, yellow is moderately smooth, green is very
   smooth. The important distinction here is that I'm not wed to how a
   particular bit of choreography should be danced (i.e., a band could
   successfully play a smooth tune to an orange-coded dance) but my coding
   does give a sense of where to look for certain moves: if I want
   petronellas, I look in the pink dances first.
      - *The stickers are placed along the top edge of the cards and
      positioned according to difficulty, with dances in Section I having
      stickers on the left of that edge and dances in Section V toward
the right.
      This makes sorting and identifying dances very easy.*
      - Finally, within each colored section I alphabetize. Occasionally I
   know the name of a dance I'm looking for (though not always!) and in those
   cases I usually remember enough about the dance to guess where in my box it
   will be.

I've been really happy with this sorting system. Programming is easier. It
means that if I need to change plans, I can select dances very quickly. It
also means I can replace dances and re-sort my box at the end of the
evening without trouble. I used removable stickers so that I could change
my mind if needed, and this is the only thing I'd do differently so far;
these stickers fall off too easily, even when folded over the top edge.

Bonus: My box looks like rainbow stripes from the top.

And another mechanic:

   - I always add a tally to the back of a card after I call it...
      - Regular at the top left, medley inclusion at the bottom
      - This allows me to turn my box around and select for favorites ("I
      need an old stand-by") or newly-collected ("I'm bored")
   - ...and I also add dance titles to a google spreadsheet before I
   re-sort the cards back into their categories
      - What did I call last time I was at this dance? What worked and what
      didn't?
      - I can also pull an old program from a comparable event if I don't
      have time to program from scratch