I don't have a cultural stance against positional calling, but I do have
the "right/left" equivalent of dyslexic (if you say turn right/left as I'm
driving, I get it wrong about 70% of the time, and I work around it by
navigating with NSEW or a map.) I was able to learn dancing by feel and by
momentum of the dance ('this feels like it will be a right allemande') and
I was often late when I was learning until I had a good "translation"
system in place / until I had developed a sense of dance flow. So I'm
personally pretty fearful of "lefts allemande right"--it will be *workable *for
me as a dancer* because I already learned how things "feel" using roles*.
But I will never attempt calling it (recipe for disaster), and I'm pretty
confident that if I was learning dancing as a newbie and got the sentence
'lefts allemande right' I would have given up and not come back.

So for me, the birds are the obvious solution, positional calling feels
totally not compatible with my particular handicap. I have no idea how
common "left right dyslexia" is, so it could be that the 'right choice' is
to override people in my shoes--there may simply not be very many of us.
(In fact, I haven't heard anyone else say this yet, which is why I felt
compelled to write).

Allison Jonjak
allisonjon...@gmail.com
allisonjonjak.com