Hi all,
        Alan said, " Do you use first corners as quondam role names - that
is, the people who started out on the first corners, wherever they are now -
or instantaneously positional?  What do you about Becket dances? (In duple
minor improper first corners = robins; in Becket, same corners with respect
to the stage = larks.)."

        I have only ever used "First Corners" to mean "those who are looking
to the right when facing across the set at this moment".  Occasionally I
might say, "Original First Corners" - but the chance on them remembering
where they started the dance is small, so it is not always useful.

        So in a duple minor improper First Corners are the Ladies/Robins; in
Becket they are the Men/Larks.

        Are people really changing the definition so that sometimes it is
across the set and sometimes it is up and down the set?  That would be very
confusing!

        Of course Sicilian Circles (which can be Becket) introduce another
level of complexity!  (Didn't we have this discussion recently on one of the
forums?)

            Happy dancing,
                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802