When people ask me which of Larks and Robins is "the man", I answer
as follows:  "Lark" is the role which is traditionally called "man".
You're welcome to dance whichever role you like, and many people have
a role preference.

I think it's important to say that the role is traditionally *called*
"man", not to say "is traditionally danced by a man".  People have always
danced on both sides, for a variety of obvious reasons.  I'm not going
to belabour this point when talking to someone like the above, but I do
choose my words carefully.

I don't think it's appropriate for someone to insist that they dance a
particular role because of their gender (etc), but I do think it's fine
for someone to have a role preference, and such a role preference is often
borne of experience, and many people's experience includes being pushed
into a particular role because of their gender or apparent gender, and
that's their dance identity now, and if they want to keep it I think
that's fine, I just think that it should not have a gendered name.
So I'm quite happy to help them to translate.

>Most of our dancers have no clue there used to be an association: I love
>that.

I do too, and I like to think that any such person overhearing an exchange
like the above would think "wow, that's weird that someone thinks that
whether you're dancing Robin or Lark depends on your gender, how silly."
And doesn't afterwards remember which role had which alleged gender
association.

regards,
ajr, dancing in and near Toronto, Canada