"At the time, it almost never happened that the one in the lady's role
actually swung like a lady.  I'm not sure when that became the norm."

When I started dancing both roles, around 2005, I remember initially doing
it as you said, with gender-neutral swings with the gents I encountered.  I
remember being surprised sometime around 2006-2007 when I ran into a few
guys dancing switch who indicated they wanted to do the standard ballroom
hold.  By 2008-2009 I think my male friends and I were dancing the lady's
role in the standard way?

Jeff