On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Tom Pantelis <tompante...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Ryan Dietrich <r...@betterservers.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I made a screencast showing exactly what I am doing.  Please advise?
>>>
>>> https://asciinema.org/a/R5Oo9BYsPuQMBYfpjGI29D1fM
>>>
>>> I have never seen “ExampleProvider Session Initiated”, no matter what I
>>> do.  It feels like the most basic “hello world” program doesn’t even work
>>> with Nitrogen anymore :(
>>>

>> There's a couple reasons you don't see that message. First, none of the
>> example features are specified in the featuresBoot property
>> in etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg so none of the generated example
>> features are installed on startup - that's b/c this line is commented out
>> in karaf/pom.xml:
>>

>> First, thanks for getting back to me on this.  I was pretty impressed
>> with asciinema, going to use it a lot more in the future (did you see you
>> can copy/paste from the video while it is playing!?  That is super cool!)
>>
>> I see the file: features.cfg.  In it I see this section that refers to
>> featuresBoot
>>
>> featuresBoot = \
>>     standard, \
>>     wrap
>>
>> Should it include something related to old-example?  How do I know what
>> to put there?
>>
>>     <properties>
>>        <!-- TODO <karaf.localFeature>odl-example-rest</karaf.localFeature>
>> -->
>>     </properties>
>>

>> I’m guessing uncommenting this without fixing the features.cfg file isn’t
>> going to do anything?

So the karaf.localFeature property in the pom causes the
maven-deploy-plugin to include that feature in the featuresBoot line in the
generated distro. However it won't work due to the issue outlined below, ie
the odl-example-rest feature needs to be listed in the generated
features-example feature repo otherwise karaf wont know about it at
runtime. However it wont even get that far as the maven-deploy-plugin will
fail to generate the distro if it can't resolve the karaf.localFeature.