Yes, you could have a problem, but you should still have the original
kernel entries in yaboot, so you should still be able to boot. mkinitrd
runs during the install process too, so I'm kind of surprised it's
missing.  What it does is setup any needed modules for the kernel, before
mounting "/", say for instance you have a SCSI drive for "/", or ReiserFS,
or a USB keyboard you want working in single-user mode.

[stew@imac stew]$ rpm -qa | grep mkinitrd
mkinitrd-2.7-11mdk

[stew@imac stew]$ rpm -ql mkinitrd
/sbin/mkinitrd