I'm kind of surprised you would be missing that file, as it's part of the
initscripts:

[stew@imac stew]$ rpm -qif /usr/share/loader/make-initrd
Name        : initscripts                  Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 5.83                              Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 6mdk                          Build Date: Thu 31 May 2001
01:31:33 PM EDT
Install date: Thu 21 Jun 2001 04:44:16 PM EDT      Build Host:
grapefruit.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : System/Base                   Source RPM:
initscripts-5.83-6mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 1260495                          License: GPL
Packager    : Stew Benedict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Summary     : The inittab file and the /etc/init.d scripts.
Description :
The initscripts package contains the basic system scripts used to boot
your Mandrake system, change run levels, and shut the system down cleanly.
Initscripts also contains the scripts that activate and deactivate most
network interfaces.

If this package wasn't installed, I wouldn't think you'd be able to boot
very well.  Do you have the above version installed?

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/