Dippy,

Have you tried experimenting with the alsa sound drivers that are on my
web page?  I can't build those into the distro due to conflicts with the
other architectures, but I'm going to try maintaining them personally, as
the kernels progress.  Some of the newer machines have sound hardware that
is not compatible with dmasound or dmasound_awacs, so the alsa drivers are
an alternative.  I know some other PPC distro's are now using
dmasound_pmac, but I haven't had an opportunity to look at how I might
patch this into the Mandrake kernel.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/