I have been gone for awhile again. Brice you were trying to help me with the
sound when I had to take off. I hope you have some more ideas.

I ended up reinstalling mandrake as I botched trying to upgrade X and
couldn't get it to run again so I am starting from scratch. I installed the
arts packages and the alsa packages.

Here is my lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
ppp_deflate            44000   0  (autoclean)
bsd_comp                4768   0  (autoclean)
ppp_async               8464   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            23072   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
macserial              38256   2  (autoclean)
snd-pcm-oss            45392   0  (autoclean) (unused)
snd-pcm                59488   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-timer              11888   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
snd-mixer-oss          11056   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd                    29776   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-mixer-oss]
soundcore               4880   0  [snd]
supermount             39072   4  (autoclean)

Here is my modules.conf:
pre-install pcmcia_core CARDMGR_OPTS=-f /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias eth0 gmac
alias usb-interface0 usb-ohci
alias serial macserial
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
# ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-awacs
# OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Hope you can help me out with this. I type amixer and get:
amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: No such file or directory

Here is another error message I generate:
[root@localhost dippy]# service alsa restart
Doing alsactl to store mixer settings...                   [  OK  ]
Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 0.5.11):          [  OK  ]
Starting ALSA version 0.5.11:insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.4-6.2mdk/alsa/snd.o: No
such file or directory
insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.4-6.2mdk/alsa/snd.o failed
 awacs 0.                                                  [  OK  ]
Doing alsactl to restore mixer settings...                 [  OK  ]

I tried the dmasound package that Stew put up. I got static after I ran that
so I reverted back.