Hi Dippy,

No - I don't believe I did.  I don't think I had any sound whatsoever.  As far as alsa & aRts goes, the following RPMs are installed here:

libarts2-devel-2.1.2-2mdk
arts-2.1.2-2mdk
libarts2-2.1.2-2mdk
alsa-lib-devel-0.5.10-2mdk
alsa-utils-0.5.10-2mdk
alsa-lib-0.5.10-2mdk

Probably anything w/ -devel you won't need (then again, maybe you will if you need to recompile any sound apps ;).  And as for XMMS - the version on the CD is BAD ... get Stew's recompile from the mirrors (should be in Mandrake-devel/cooker/ppc/Mandrake/RPMS/ - just look for a version more recent than yours.

See if that gets you going.  If not - write back.  Seeing as that I have the exact same machine you do (assuming your's is a 400MHz iMac DV) - I'm sure we can get this figured out ;)

-Brice

Dippy Black wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
I will try adding that. I assume I need to download the alsa drivers first
and install them. Just curious. did you have the static problems at the
beginning in kde and absence of any other sounds.