On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Jerry Goldstein wrote:

> >> boot install-video.......   what EXACTLY is the syntax that I would use
> >> to include the above append statement? Would you expect it too work when
> >> installing (ie allow a graphical install) considering that it works after
> >> installing?
> >>

> >I envisioned one would type:
> >
> >install-video video=aty128fb:vmode:22
> >
> >The extra arguments should get passed to the kernel, similar to when one
> >has a problem and you force boot into runlevel 1 by appending "1" or
> >"single".  I probably should clarify this in the documentation.
>
> I tried that exact syntax before and just tried it again. Didn't work.
> After I saw the message about the second stage of installation, the
> screen went black. Any ideas?

I just tried it again here, with video=atyfb:vmode:17 (what my iMac wants
to see), and it seemed to work.  If you are able to get a usable mode, you
can verify the parameters are passed in VT2 with:

cat /proc/cmdline

It could be that vmode22 is beyond what Xpmac is capable of doing, and
that's why you're getting the black screen.  (Just checked with Xpmac
--help - 20 is the highest mode it accepts) Xpmac is not the greatest X
server in the world, but it is fairly compact.  Switching to XFree for the
install also comes with its own set of problems, but may be something to
consider for the next iteration.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=