On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Paul Rodriguez wrote:

> Stew Benedict wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Paul Rodriguez wrote:
> >

> >>Also, I currently have two sets of Linux partitions in addition to my
> >>mac os 9 partition.  Can I repartion my Linux partitions without
> >>effecting my Mac one?  No need for a mac os reinstall?
> >>

> > You should be able too, if we can get you that far. =(
> > I forget - have you tried both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels and stage1 images?
> >
> > I would be curious if you could boot the rescue image, and then manually
> > modprobe the appropriate scsi driver, and still get the kernel panic.
> >
> > Stew Benedict
> >

> With the 2.2 kernel (instead of vmlinux or 2.4) I get farther.  Up to
> the point when it looks for the disks to partition ("doPartitionDisks").
>   Then it tells me that I have no valid devices on which to create new
> filesystems.

This is good - actually. It should have offered you an opportunity to
install some SCSI modules. As an alternative, you can open VT2 and
modprobe them manually. It is probably "mesh" or "mac53c94":

modprobe mesh

or

modprobe mac53c94

Do this before you get to disk partitioning. Is the CD scsi too? Odd that
ot is seen but not the hard, drives, unless they use different
controllers.

Expert mode will definitely let you add the SCSI modules.  I've been
working with the IBM user trying to resolve that issue, and have been
running in expert mode.

> With the 2.4 kernel it doesn't recognize my cdrom drive. (A CD-MATSHITA
> ZS20 CDROM CR-585, stock with my G3.)

Kernel should not make any difference here. Both have the appropriate
modules?

> Using either rescue image with any kernel panics me out and recommends I
> try init= or id= in the kernel arguments.  I've tried different init's
> but to no avail.

You are doing something wrong here in booting the rescue. Are you using
root=/dev/ram3, setting the ramdisk to 32000 and still using all.gz, but
with "rescue" as kernel parameters?

> PS I also notice blue error messages in the background when I'm doing
> a text install.  For example as I'm choosing reccommended or expert
> install I see the perl locale messages in blue in the background.

Normal - ugly but normal.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=