On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Paul Rodriguez wrote:

> Hmm... there is no root device field, but under options, I can specify
> the ramdisk, I choose the all.gz from the cd.

Sorry about that.  I just pulled up BootX again, as I haven't run it in a
while.  When using a Ramdisk, that field is replaced with the "Ramdisk
Size" field.

> In the meantime I'm going to keep trying.  I'm going to try now with a
> different graphics card.  Would it help if I sent some sort of device
> configuration file from the mac?  I'm not very familiar with the
> macintosh, and maybe knowing exactly what hardware is in this machine
> would help.

A different graphics card is only going to complicate matters.  Your issue
is the drives, not graphics.

>From what you've told me so far, you are able to get past stage1 into
stage2 correct? (select language....).

Is is true that the only portions of the CD you've copied to MacOS are the
all.gz and vmlinux files?

If this is so, and you are getting to stage2 and/or the rescue mode, then
the CD is being found.

What I would like to see is the information from Apple System Profiler,
concerning Devices and Volumes, in particular the SCSI bus, as that seems
to be where you are having problems.  Also, if it's possible, do a pdisk
(MacOS version - see html doc in "docs" on CD for URL) listing of the
drives.  Either mail or post screenshots of these screens from MacOS.

If you really want to swap out some hardware, and this machine has IDE -
an IDE drive would make your life a lot easier at this point.  Initialize
it with MacOS and make sure to leave free space for Linux.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=