Hmm... there is no root device field, but under options, I can specify
the ramdisk, I choose the all.gz from the cd.

Do you know if 8.1 for the PPC is due out any time soon, maybe I won't
have any install issues with a new verion.

In the meantime I'm going to keep trying.  I'm going to try now with a
different graphics card.  Would it help if I sent some sort of device
configuration file from the mac?  I'm not very familiar with the
macintosh, and maybe knowing exactly what hardware is in this machine
would help.

-Paul Rodriguez