On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, James O'Malley wrote:

> Was just wondering if there was a reason I cannot install via FTP from the
> current cooker tree?
>
> I have a powerbook G3 Firewire and have done the following:
>
> Mirrored the cooker tree (successful)
> Ran gendistib on it (successful)
> Burned a CD-RW to boot the thing (successful)
> Loaded gmac.o for network access (successful)
> Selected FTP, entered host, directory, user, password (successful)
> Started loading second stage and locked up the install program at like 90% done.
> (I don't know how to change terminals on a mac... tried every key
> combination I could think of but I can't see the error console or whatnot)
> Is there anything I should know about the current tree?
> I'm heading home for the holidays and I don't think I can live without a
> linux box. This powerbook is my only hope *G*.
>
> Any word on a beta release soon?

There are some core problems with the drakx compile.  I saw this problem
a while back and then it cleared up for a while.  There is some subtle
interaction between glibc, rpm, and tools that causes odd behavior.
Something you might also try, as the install image has grown with the
inclusion of 3 kernels and the journalling modules is to increase the
ramdisk size to 36000, instead of 32000.  I am going to do this now on the
mirror, but I'm still trying to resolve the other issue, which causes
random packages to fail during install, when the RPM's themselves are
fine.

As for the beta ISO's - that's the goal.  I am going to burn one myself
and see if at least CD install can work.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/