Anne et Bertrand wrote:

> Le 2002.02.02 14:24, Miguel Beccari a écrit :
>
>> Anne et Bertrand wrote:
>>
>>> I last recompiled 2.4.17 without xmon and the debugging features.
>>> No kernel oops message till now (of course !), but I'm running gnome
>>> and it doesn't seem to crash.
>>>

>> Wonderful. It is going to be a great day ;)
>>
>> ... Play 2 - 4 - 17 on lotto :)
>>
> I don't play lotto (or loto, in France),
> but now I've got a kernel that doesn't use more than 60 Mb of swap when
> I've got 96Mb of ram, as 2.4.4. did ! Really great !
>
> Thanks,
> B.D.

You said you are using old 603 ppc.

So today I went in my old pc repository and I found 3 ppc 603.

Yes, they work, and each one has got 96Mb, 500Mb HD, Floppy, but no CDROM.

I tried linux on old Pentium 90 with 64Mb RAM without specials
pleasures. I tried openBSD too on old PCs... but the reality is that
   todays applications (as apache+php+mysql) need high CPU performance,
high disk access, etc etc.

I never tried with ppc, so I would like to put a 6Gb HardDrive (I have
to buy it because of old PPC were SCSI only), and test all.

In your opinion : is it possible expecting great performance then my
tests on Pentiums 90-133Mhz ?

Best regards,

Miguel Beccari