On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Ian White wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Stew Benedict wrote:
>
> > ofboot and ybin being root user type programs and ofboot and yaboot never
> > actually being run, but just copied to the bootstrap. ofpath I left in
> > /usr/local, as it can be useful for non-root users on occasion to look up
> > mac-style device names. You feel it should be in /sbin too?
>
> Well nothing else in the distro is in /usr/local, and non-root users can
> use files in /sbin and /usr/sbin. (And my path didn't have /usr/local/sbin
> in it which is what got me.) But it still doesn't help much for the
> placement of ofboot and yaboot.

I see now.  I agree that all the usr/local stuff should drop down a level
to /usr.  That means I may have to add a patch to yaboot, but no big deal.

Looking at the 1.3.6 ybin script,it looks like defining $PATH_PREFIX may
have addressed the issue you were having too, or doing a chroot.

if [ -n "$PATH_PREFIX" ] ; then

PATH="${PATH}:${PATH_PREFIX}/sbin:${PATH_PREFIX}/bin:${PATH_PREFIX}/usr/sbin:${PATH_PR
EFIX}/usr/bin:${PATH_PREFIX}/usr/local/sbin:${PATH_PREFIX}/usr/local/bin"

> Perhaps we need a directory for arch specific useless things?

which part of yaboot is useless?

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/