On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Miguel Beccari wrote:

> I have a 250Mhz 8500 series powerPC.
> It as got very old 2x cdrom (with caddy)
> It has got no floppy.
> It has got a build in ehternet, and a 3com (I think).
>
> I am unable to boot from cdrom.
> No way, no way, no way to boot :(
>
> So I copied the BootX on the desktop and launched the BootX app.
>
> The installer begins and I have to select from a cdrom installation or a
> ftp, hard disk etc etc.
>
> no modules are right for my old cdrom, my built in ethernet and so on...

Not booting from the CD is normal on OldWorld - that's why BootX is
provided.  I don't have access to any 8500's but I can tell you what
modules are used on the 7600:

SCSI:  mesh
Ethernet: mace

mac53c94 is also used for SCSI on some older machines.   I doubt the
integrated NIC is 3com, but I suppose anything is possible.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/