On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Miguel Beccari wrote:

> > Not booting from the CD is normal on OldWorld - that's why BootX is
> > provided.  I don't have access to any 8500's but I can tell you what
> > modules are used on the 7600:
> >

> I am old with linux but on x86 only (lilo, grub, award bios etc), so
> I have to understand some things...
>
> for example: should I leave a Mac (with the MacOS) partition to have BottX
> working ?

Yes, to use BootX, you'll need a minimal MacOS install.  There are other
ways of booting, (quik for one), but I haven't explored them.

> > SCSI:  mesh
> > Ethernet: mace
> >
> > mac53c94 is also used for SCSI on some older machines.   I doubt the
> > integrated NIC is 3com, but I suppose anything is possible.
> >

> Theese are useful informations.
>
> The last question is: if I put the hybrid burned ppc-8.2 cdrom on my linux
> box (x86) i can mount and read with no problems all; but if I put the cdrom
> in the old sony (on the Mac) the system say the cd have to be formatted.

I don't know.  I can read it on my machines in MacOS.  As you said, it's a
hybrid iso9660/hfs disc, so it should be readable in MacOS.  How did you
get the BootX stuff off of it?

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/