After banging my head to build a kernel with support for both scsi (why
can this not be in the default install kernel?) and aty128 this past
weekend (from install cd, mount /sdc5 /mnt then mount -t hfs /dev/sdb6
/mnt/mnt <-- interesting trick to get files from boot partition to hfs
partition for BootX), I was able to fire up Mandrake 8.2b1.

The issue that kills me now is ppp access. I set up my network for both
ppp and ethernet (for local filesharing only). When I try to set up kppp
to access via script or terminal (required by my .edu provider; no PAP,
etc.), kppp runs the script then tries "Logging in to the Network...",
then drops the connection. I have used the noauth pppd command with no
success also.

The detailed error report shows "couldn't find interface ppp0: no such
device". The modem itself is working fine, btw. From linuxconf...
Networking... I disabled the eth0 interface with same result. BUT there
was no ppp0 interface... I am guessing that there needs to be, but I
thought the installer would have handled that. If there should be, what
values are needed besides interface: ppp0?

Any clues would be appreciated.