John, not sure if this is the same troubles that I ran into or not...

but here are a couple of things that helped me get to the bottom of
it...

1) Is your modem showing up in dmesg?

2) In kppp, go into your modem setup option, and change the Modem
Commands so that the Pre-Init and Post-Init delays are up to 100 instead
of 50.  (This was the thing that got kppp dialing for me)

Nick

--
Nick Texidor
Technical Director