On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Sharon wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  I booted into rescue and looked at the table for /dev/hdb and
>it had the bootstrap partitian but also
> had all the MacOS9 drivers on it.  Guess I didn't uncheck the box when I erased it.
>Probably shouldn't have mattered, but I
> blasted it away and started from scratch anyway, this time with a newly burned CD1.
>
> Second time around:
> Same, same with the r128 but it got all the way through the install this time, and
>the bootloader setup even gave me the
> command to enter into OF (nice touch, btw).  It didn't work, though, so I found a
>yaboot how-to out in webland and got it
> going.  Don't know exactly how it was supposed to work, but I don't have a
>yaboot.conf file.  I couldn't find one in /etc or
> anywhere else.  Ran ybin and it also tells me that "there is no yaboot.conf file,
> now, it works enough to be usable and I can make the .conf file if I can ever boot
>into MDL.
>
> >       r128 issue is known - I'm working through it now with vdanen.  ide-cd
> >       message is not good.
>
> I think the ide-cd thing was a fluke.  I fought with a r128 on the x86 side for
>quite some time before it became usable, if
> it is going to cause me troubles in linux on the ppc side, I may just replace it
>:-{. It needs to be gone anyway.
>
> My present problem:  I boot into the yaboot menu (too tiny a font for these old
>eyes), choose linux and the boot starts. The
> text resolution changes to something akin to 80x40 and it goes through all the pci
>stuff and the last line I can read before
> the screen goes black is something about exiting the pic(?).  Anyway, it sounds like
>it is continuing the boot, but I can't
> see it.

That almost sounds like you are never getting out of Open Firmware.

> Tried entering "textboot failsafe" at the boot: prompt but got the same thing.  Was
>my syntax wrong?
> I've got a 17" Apple CRT and picked that during the install, maybe that is the
>problem?  If so, I wouldn't mind getting it into a
> low resolution just so I can work with it.
>
> Rescue works so if you have any suggestions, I'm willing to try.

Boot rescue, run

pdisk -l /dev/hda

locate your "/" partition and the bootstrap

mount /dev/hdX /mnt/disk        (X = "/" partition)

chroot /mnt/disk

cat /etc/yaboot.conf

enter the following:

---------------- snip ---------------------

#yaboot.conf - generated by DrakX
init-message="\nWelcome to Mandrake Linux!\n"
boot=/dev/hda6
ofboot=hd:6
delay=30
timeout=50
install=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot
enableofboot
defaultos=linux
default=linux
nonvram
image=hd:7,/vmlinuz-2.4.17-17mdk
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda14
        initrd=hd:7,/initrd-2.4.17-17mdk.img
        append=" devfs=mount"
        read-only
image=hd:7,/vmlinuz-2.4.17-17mdk
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hda14
        initrd=hd:7,/initrd-2.4.17-17mdk.img
        append=" devfs=mount failsafe"
        read-only
macos=hd:5

entries above will need to be adjusted to reflect your hard drive

Ctrl-d

ybin -v
exit
umount /mnt/disk
reboot

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/
Cooker-PPC IRC:  irc.openprojects.net/#cooker-ppc