On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:14:31AM -0600, Tom Loscheider wrote:
> I have successfully built a kernel to try to solve a SCSI CD burner
> problem, but I have problems getting it to boot ("no such file" reported
> in open firmware boot).
> I think I am missing something in yaboot.conf or running ybin, but after
> 3 tries and hours reading man pages and searching for a how-to that
> makes sense... I need guidance.
>
> Can someone point me to some concise instructions or how-to for what
> steps are needed to install new kernel and configure yaboot? The man
> files, as usual, are way too vague.

compile it, and install the proper files in /boot (you can see what you
need from the mandrake kernels you already have).
Copy one of the mandrake entries in /etc/yaboot.conf and edit it to have
the proper image and initrd (if you need one).
Run mkinitrd like so:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<kernelversion>.img <kernelversion>
/sbin/ybin -v

And you should be set.  However, if you're still having trouble send us
your yaboot.conf and the contents of your /boot and maybe we can help...

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty and democracy? - Ghandi