Ben Reser wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:14:31AM -0600, Tom Loscheider wrote:
>
>>I have successfully built a kernel to try to solve a SCSI CD burner
>>problem, but I have problems getting it to boot ("no such file" reported
>>in open firmware boot).
>>I think I am missing something in yaboot.conf or running ybin, but after
>>3 tries and hours reading man pages and searching for a how-to that
>>makes sense... I need guidance.
>>
>>Can someone point me to some concise instructions or how-to for what
>>steps are needed to install new kernel and configure yaboot? The man
>>files, as usual, are way too vague.
>>

> compile it, and install the proper files in /boot (you can see what you
> need from the mandrake kernels you already have).
> Copy one of the mandrake entries in /etc/yaboot.conf and edit it to have
> the proper image and initrd (if you need one).
> Run mkinitrd like so:
> mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<kernelversion>.img <kernelversion>
> /sbin/ybin -v
>
> And you should be set.  However, if you're still having trouble send us
> your yaboot.conf and the contents of your /boot and maybe we can help...

Thanks to all who replied!

My machine is a G3/350 Blue & White DVD rev-1. Do you run mkinitrd with
all Macs or just with certain models?

I missed the mkinitrd step. I had wondered where the other files in
/boot came from, but had assumed they were created by some process at
boot. It sounds like everything else is right.

Thanks
Tom L