On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Peter R. Wood wrote:

> Just installed 8.2 beta 2 tonight from cd's.  I ran into a few problems:
>
> 1) Near the end of installation, when the summary of input devices, language,
>locale, printer, etc
> is displayed, I click on Printer to try and add a CUPS printer. Whereas this worked
>fine in previous
> versions, I had some trouble in this version. After installing most of the packages,
>it gave me an
> error that the 'qtcups' package was not found. I assume this is a qt frontend for
>CUPS. In any case,
> I was not able to set up a printer because of this.

Added to rpmslist.  I had used the x86 list which I thought would have
resolved these missing package issues.

> 2) When I boot up in graphical login mode, the KDM screen is still butt-ugly/messed
>up as in
> previous releases. I'm assuming this is a problem that is the responsibility of KDE
>developers?

Unfortunately, in the 4 machines I've had access too, I haven't yet seen
this behaviour, so it's a bit hard to fix.

> 3) GNOME seems to have lots of problems. It starts up somewhat okay, but I get
>errors related to
> 'bonobo-moniker-archiver' when I do various things, such as opening up capplets in
>the Control
> Center. Specifically, it's telling me that 'bonobo-moniker-archiver' has segfaulted,
>and that
> /usr/bin/background-properties-control has segfaulted.  Are there some new
>bonobo/gnome packages
> that I can urpmi?

No there aren't. Unfortunately no-one mentioned any additional issue with
gnome, besides the original missing libs until a couple of days ago, and
the ISO's were already burnt by then. I'll look into it.

> 4) Network detection during install doesn't seem foolproof, and this is more of a
>general Mandrake
> issue than a PPC-specific one. But nonetheless, here it is:
> I've got gmac ethernet built in on my Pismo, as well as an airport card. When the
>network detecter
> runs, it only detects my gmac.  I then must tell it that I have another interface,
>and select the
> Apple Airport driver, which it will then load.  Obviously, this is something I
>understand, but the
> novice user may not know what to do. I'm not sure how to make it easier for a novice
>user, but we
> would definitely want the airport module to be detected. Ideally, it should be
>detected along with
> the gmac interface, and presented to them in a list of interfaces which can be
>chosen radio-button
> style. I.E. pick either gmac or airport, and give an option for advanced users to
>choose both if
> they want to. Most novice users, however, would not understand the concept of having
>two network
> interfaces operating simultaneously.  I dunno. Just rambling about this a bit, so if
>it seems inane,
> please ignore. :-)

Good ideas, I don't think it will be implemented this time around though.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/