Hi,

> > # Uncomment the following if you want to set the group to "tty" for the
> > # pseudo-tty devices. This is necessary so that mesg(1) can later be used
> > # to enable/disable talk requests and wall(1) messages.
> > REGISTER ^pty/s. PERMISSIONS -1.tty 0600
> > REGISTER ^pts/.* PERMISSIONS -1.tty 0600
> >
> > which suggests that by default devfsd is trying to do the right thing.
>
> Well then I'm not sure why the permissions are wrong on your machine.
> devfsd is properly setting the permissions for me.
>
> Have you tried deleting the contents of your /lib/dev-state directory
> and rebooting?  It shouldn't be trying to do any thing with the tty's
> but *shrug* it's all I can think of.

It turned out that devfs was not running; on oldworld BootX login's
chkconfig --on devfsd is useless as the partitions are not mounted with
devfs [no /dev/.devfsd file].  One must explicitly add devfs=mount to the
kernel arguments.  This has the added benefit of making the tun module do
something useful for MOL [though it gets the link wrong /dev/net/tun ->
misc/net/tun should go to /dev/misc/net/tun], and the evdev module allows
/dev/input/keyboard for use with pbbuttonsd, which is nice for us laptop
users.

Upshot: use devfs to get some advanced functionality, you will need kernel
argument devfs=mount to do this.

Q.