On Wed, 22 May 2002, Patrick Ladam wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Doesn't sound like the kernel is compiled with the mol module in 8.2, am i
> right?
> I have to run mol with the -a option, it launches up, I have the mac window
> opening, i
> can see the extensions loading, then the mac desktop appears and it stays glued
> here showing
> the desktop with no menu and no icons.
> Any idea? Is there an 2.4.18 kernel with mol option available somewhere.
> Should I recompile it?,

It's the other way around.  mol-kmods is compiled against the kernel. This
type of behavior has been discussed quite a bit lately on the mol list,
and I've seen it come and go with various kernels and machines. Samuel has
done some updates which seem to improve things, but I haven't rolled that
work into a new RPM.

It looks like I neglected to rebuild kmods after the 18-6mdk->18-6.1mdk,
but if you're getting as far as you are I don't think that's the issue.
I just tried here at 24, 15, and 16bpp (ati driver in X), and the startup
is very slow, much longer than you would expect, and much longer than it
was when I had mol running with 2.4.13 at LWE in January. Video response
in MacOS is very slow too.

I also tried using the fbdev driver at 15bpp, but the startup was about
the same.

Aside from the slow startup it seems to be working here, with the
sheep-net networking able to view my netatalk server etc.

I know some folks are running mol successfully, maybe they have some
tricks to share.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc