On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Targon wrote:

> I hope this is the correct list, if know pls someone direct me to
> the appropriate one if it isn't.
>
> Before i begin-This is the first time with Linux.
>
> Downloaded and burned "MandrakeLinux-8.2-CD1.ppc.iso and
> "MandrakeLinux-8.2-CD2.ppc.iso"
>
> Hardware-Dual 500 G4, 768meg. Attempted to install on the 80gig
> Seagate ATA drive set as Master on the ATA bus. Firstly with 2
> partitions the first was a HFS+ for Mac OS (altho no OS was on
> here) the second partition was what i wanted to use for Linux.
>
> Inserted CD till Diskdrake where i chose the customize option. I
> selected the second partition and deleted it. I then selected the
> free space to create a bootstrap. I then selected the remaining
> free space and hit the auto create (prolly another name i forget
> now) it then created  a "/", "swap", and "home" parts. I then
> proceeded to install. When complete machine rebooted. The screen
> prompted me for the booting options "l" for linux, "m" macos, "o"
> open firmware, "c" cdrom.
>
> I hit "l" for linux then the following text was displayed
> "unknown or corrupt filesystem" great. i tried to install again,
> this time i deleted all the partitions and then created a
> bootstrap the rest of the disk was for linux only ie no Mac OS
> partitions. Result was the same.
>
> Now when i hit "m" for macos the machine wont boot to it.
> Selecting "o" for open firmware also does nothing, the screen
> flashes in both cases then gotes back to the same options. The
> only thing to do was to select "c" for cdrom, i inserted a Mac OS
> 9.2 disk, booted then rebooted to OS X on another disk. Restarted
> and machine now doesn't show the booting options.
>
> I have searched the archives, i found a few related threads but
> no answers.
>
> Maybe there is some fresh info or maybe this is a bogus OS that
> has once again managed to consume my entire weekend??

Your life would be much easier if your started with just Free Space, then
the installer creates the bootstrap for you.  I suspect your manually
creating the bootstrap may have something to do with the issues, as many
people seem to make incorrect assumptions on how the bootstrap should be
set up (creating it as a mountable /boot is the #1 mistake).

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc