On Sunday, June 2, 2002, at 10:18  PM, Stew Benedict wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Targon wrote:

>>> Your life would be much easier if your started with just Free
>>> Space, then
>>> the installer creates the bootstrap for you.  I suspect your manually
>>> creating the bootstrap may have something to do with the issues,
>>> as many
>>> people seem to make incorrect assumptions on how the bootstrap
>>> should be
>>> set up (creating it as a mountable /boot is the #1 mistake).
>>>
>>> Stew Benedict
>>>
>>> --
>>> MandrakeSoft
>>> PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
>>> IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc
>>>

>> Hi, thanx for reply, im pretty sure i tried with freespace alone
>> an the last part of the installer told me there was no bootstrap
>> partition so i assumed it didn't create one and i went back to
>> add one but this failed as well. BTW yes most of the time when i
>> selected bootstrap i selected "AppleBootstrap" then selected
>> "/boot" as mountable since there was no info on what was meant to
>> be slelected. The online demo doesnt suggest at all that
>> selecting freespace with automatically create a bootstrap part.
>>
>> Anyways i messed around in DriveSetup in Mac OS 9x an set up the
>> partitions, then had to mess abit with drivedrake, finally got it
>> to install. Im in now but there is no-where i can find to change
>> the screen resolution..its stuck at 800x600 an in the installer i
>> told it to use 152x870...
>>
>> I went to the little linuxconf app went to peripherals but there
>> is only printer and modem in there no display..so how do i change
>> the screen resolution?? Would be nice to have some documentation
>> for simple things like this!!!
>>

> On a big drive you probably won't even notice the 1MB bootstrap
> slice in
> the graphical display.  You should see the partition numbers skip
> a number
> though.  If you got a message that there was no room to create a
> bootstrap, then you must not have started with free space on the drive.
>
> I just checked the tutorial an it looks pretty clear to me the
> suggested
> process of setting up Free space in MacOS, and this screen shows
> the 1MB
> bootstrap partition already present when you enter diskdrake.
>
> http://www.linux-
> mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/Install/Expert/pages/expert5.php3
>
> The whole idea here was to make the creation of the bootstrap
> automatic,
> so folks wouldn't have to deal with how to set it up and how it's used.
>
> Mandrake Control Center (normally there is an icon on the
> desktop), will
> take you to XFdrake to setup X. 152x870 is a rather odd
> resolution though,
> it won't be in the choices. You probably have to do some hand
> editing of
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to achieve that.

> [...]

Hi Stew again....the demo i was referring to was the Recommended
demo, im a beginner.If u look here

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/Install/Reco/pages/reco5.php3

u will see a little blue strip that may very well be the
bootstrap. The text to the right says select auto allocate
button...this to me suggests that the bootstrap was created
before auto allocate. Anywayz its potentially confusing. you
maybe right tho maybe the disk is large an the tiny bootstrap
cant be seen. Maybe implementing partition cycling with the tab
key like Drive setup is a good idea.

Anyways, onto the mandrake control center, there is only a home
folder an trashcan on the desktop, but in the bottom left corner
there is a menu from here i selected "control center" i can't
seem to see anything in there called "XFdrake" nor is there any
kind of monitor or displays control panel to change resolution
that i can see. Under information there is a thing called
"X-Server" looking in here just shows info of the screen res but
no way i can see of altering this.  As i mentioned i kind have
expected the monitor resolution settings to be set via a panel in
the peripherals tree but there is only mouse/keyboard...amm i
looking in the wrong place?

BTW in Mac OS's the res is 1152x870 in this linux OS the closes
it said in the installer was 1152x864 now in this"XF86Config-4 "
file it shows 1152x864 as well...um so what exactly do i do here?
The text is able to be selected but can't be deleted or changed...

regards